You know that it is not always possible to brush your teeth, especially when you are on-the-go. But, you also know that taking care of your teeth is imperative. Thankfully, you can take care of your teeth with the following oral-enhancing dental mints.
The Oral-Enhancing Secrets Within The Dental Mints
The following are a few reasons why these dental mints are good for your teeth:
Oregano, More Than Just a Seasoning
Oregano oil is a powerful bacteria-killing machine because it contains polyphenols and rosmarinic acid. Experts have noted that bacteria--especially the kind that lead to gum disease--are susceptible to oregano once they come into contact with it. The ingredients in oregano are poisonous to several oral microbes in your mouth.
The Cinnamon Kick
Cinnamon is important because it contains another bacteria-killing agent that should protect you from dental ailments, like cavities. Cinnamon contains cinnamic aldehyde, which kills microbes by wounding them. The outer-membrane that makes up bacteria cannot withstand cinnamic aldehyde, so it withers away upon contact.
Sweet and Powerful Honey Effect
Honey is the last ingredient you want to pay attention to. Honey contains enzymes that help inhibit the reproduction of harmful bacteria in your mouth. Not to mention that honey is also highly osmotic. This natural, osmotic nature helps draw out essential moisture from the bacteria in your mouth. Honey draws out so much moisture that it eventually kills oral pathogens through dehydration.
Remember that it is a good idea to add some of these ingredients to your regular diet, as they are good for your overall oral health. But do not use the ingredients to replace your regular oral care regimen because these ingredients are only meant to help with dental ailments.
How To Make Your Dental-Enhancing Mints
You'll need the following:
- 1 cup of powdered gum paste
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon oil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano oil
- 1 teaspoon of liquefied raw honey
- Blend the gum paste, honey and water together in a bowl. You should end up with a pliable dough-like mix. Add a little more water if the mixture is too dry or more gum paste if the mixture has too much liquid.
- Add the cinnamon oil and oregano oil to your mixture, and blend into the dough.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of xylitol on parchment paper. Liberally roll and flatten the dough on the xylitol and sprinkle more if you want to.
- The dough should resemble a pancake. The pancake should be ¼ of an inch thick.
- Use a fat straw to cut out small mints.
- Let the mints dry for a few hours or until hardened. Place them in a clean container with a lid.
As you can see, you can take care of your oral health on-the-go, too. For further assistance, contact a dentist, such as one from Olympia Dental and Implant Center.